Tuesday, August 18, 2009

state of the union.

When I decided to force our family into going greener I realized that we're actually not all that bad to begin with. We do the basics already. We use our own bag at the store, recycle everything we can, I loathe paper towels so we've cut them down greatly. We use only cold water for our laundry, have changed out most of the bulbs in the house, unplug chargers and turn off lights.

So, we're starting out with the basics covered. After that I wondered how a small budget-minded family of four could go greener, and support local business while not breaking the bank. Babysteps I suppose. SO. Being the frugal family that we are, I've given myself a few loopholes. Diapers, I am sorry to say, we will still be purchasing at Target. I know there are awesome cloth diapers out there and I may change my mind. But all my budget would be spent on "greener" diapers or cloth. Milk is the second exception, this one kills me. I'd love to buy organic milk, but at 5.50 a gallon I simply cannot afford it. I have two milk addicts on my hands and though I realize that's even more of a reason to buy organic I just don't have the money. Buy me milk, and I'll choose organic, I promise. Other than that, all changes are fair game. Just need to remind myself to go step by step so I don't blow it (and irritate my husband).

Included in the challenge, and possibly the biggest part is buying locally. Not just produce, but if I can purchase the item at a local business I'd like to try. Those of you who know me know that I am a Target-fanatic so this is going to be difficult for me. I also like stuff. Buying locally and making fewer trips to Kroger and Target will hopefully get me to buy less, but buy them places where the money comes back to my community. According to the 3/50 Project: 68% of money in spent in locally owned stores comes back to the community where as only 43% of money spent in national chains come back to the community. Trying to find the "green connection" here? Well there isn't much of one unless you are talking produce. Local produce is not only better tasting but doesn't travel as far to reach your plate as grocery store stuff, giving it a smaller carbon footprint.

OKAY, all that being said, here we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment