Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Byrd House Market experience.


Okay, I have something terrible to admit. A dark secret I've avoided telling. There's a farmers market in my neighborhood... and I've ever been. In my defense I used to work Tuesdays and would come home to the kids ASAP. But, The Byrd House Market is literally only a few blocks away... I know. Bad.

I was further embarrassed when I saw a familiar face. My boyfriend from middle school was there selling beautiful loaves of delicious bread. Small world. Once again, I had to admit I had not been to the Market yet. You can't get more local than these loaves Evrim and Rick make their bread from locally grown and milled whole wheat and rye flour. The bread is hand shaped and baked in a wood fire oven. Instead of selling in a store front Sub Rosa sells subscriptions, four week months are $24 or $40 dollars, five week months are $30 or $50. I was sold, and sent an email immediately to subscribe. I can't wait to blog about that.


After running into my old friend Max and I roamed the market. I will not buy fruit and veggies from the grocery store again. AgriBerry Farms had blackberries so huge, so delicious, and so fresh they stained my fingers black. Max didn't want to try them which I was secretly happy about because now I get them all for myself. I also purchased 4 apples from them. My total for 4 apples and a good sized basket of blackberries. $8. my splurge for the day. I got fresh basil, 4 stems for a dollar and picked up fresh tomatoes from Amy's Garden. Next time I'll pick up one of their beautiful baskets of mixed tomatoes. I'll post pictures too. Meanwhile Max enjoyed his $3 Soul-Ice and talking with the friendly vendors.

All in all it was a wonderful success and I'll be back next week. I used my fresh tomatoes and basil for dinner and they were absolutely delicious! The Byrd House Market was about the same price as going to Kroger but difference in the taste was noticeable. I spent under $20 for Soul Ice, Basil, Tomatoes, 4 apples, a basket of blackberries and a giant cookie for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment